Silver Yale is the chief Herald of the Principality of Tir Righ, responsible for the administration of the Tir Righ College of Heralds and the promotion and exercise of heraldic activity throughout the principality. Silver Yale reports to the Black Lion Principal Herald of An Tir, serving at both their pleasure and the Coronet of Tir Righ.
This is a high-profile leadership position, with direct supervision of three to five officers, two Baronial Pursuivants, many shire heralds and general guidance of any heralds-at-large.
As such, there may from time to time be more intimate exposure to the private, interpersonal issues of others, where the goal is to help them successfully balance their personal life with their office.
A successful Silver Yale will be:
- Familiar with Kingdom and Principality Law and customs, the SCA College of Arms Administrative Handbook, and Corpora, their relationship with each other, and able to discuss them with the Coronet, the Principality Seneschal, the Black Lion Principal Herald, and officers and individuals generally.
- Familiar with the major personalities of our College, as well as able to become familiar with the College of An Tir, and able to successfully collaborate with them.
- Comfortable with speaking publicly at Court and in Curia meetings.
- Comfortable with speaking to individuals at all levels of the Society, from newcomer to the Coronets of Tir Righ, including the ability to advise against while maintaining a collegial relationship.
- Able to coordinate heralds at all levels toward the needs of the principality, including special projects.
- Able to see the early stages of burnout in both themselves and others, and able to proactively address it whether through the temporary delegation of duties or restructuring of an office, or through gracefully transitioning an office to another individual.
- Able to recognize when a delicate situation should not be resolved by Silver Yale, but by Black Lion or the Laurel office instead.
- Actively seeking personal improvement in the above.
- Actively seeking ways to improve those under them.
- Actively seeking ways to improve the heraldic function within the Principality, Kingdom and the Society as a whole.
As a Greater Officer, general responsibilities and requirements are found in Article V of the Laws of the Principality of Tir Righ, including but not limited to specific responsibilities copied below:
- Act as the Coronets’ chief advisor in all heraldic matters.
- Act as the Voice of the Coronet in coordination with the Coronets’ personal Herald.
- Facilitate the timely processing of registration of the arms, devices and badges of the populace.
- Advise the Coronets and populace on matters of ceremony and protocol.
- Encourage the practice of heraldry within the Principality.
- Be responsible for official announcements at Principality events.
- Reporting to the Coronets, the Principality Seneschal and Black Lion quarterly.
- Record keeping, including correspondence and roster of heralds within the principality.
- Supervisory duties (largely described above).
- Creation and training of suitable officers to fulfill required heraldic functions.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, and ability to learn how to navigate SharePoint on Office 365
- General knowledge of period and SCA heraldic practices, and the difference between them
- General knowledge of the structure of the SCA, both within Tir Righ, An Tir and within the Laurel office
- Experience in any or most of SCA heraldry domains: submissions, court, field, town cry, ceremony, OP.
- Required Coronet events (February Investiture, June Coronet, August Investiture, November Coronet): ~24 hours total per event, split between meetings with the Coronet, Principality Earl Marshal, Principality Lists Minister, Principality Seneschal, other offices as needed, and hosting Silver Yale meetings as required for the College.
- Week after Coronet events: ~10-20 hours total, following up on items arising at the Coronet event.
- Other times: variable, expect a few hours per week depending on the needs of the College, special projects, and questions from the Crown, etc.
- Quarterly reports: 3-4 hours per quarter.
- Financial Meeting and Curia: ~2h per event.
- Kingdom / Principality Heraldic and Scribal Symposium: 1-2 days per year.
Knowledge of any specific function, such as book or voice, are not required for success in this office, but general heraldic knowledge and the ability to quickly learn and disseminate knowledge will be useful. Questions from the populace, from officers, and from the Coronets are to be expected.